Thursday, January 20, 2011

A day in the life of a workin man

Precursor to today's post:  Erich and I have been searching for jobs since we arrived in Chattanooga.  That was a month ago.  In this week's attempt, we heard Aldi was hiring, but we had to go to some "job fair" to apply. Thirty minutes later we were at the Hampton Inn (for the 'job fair').  There was a line out the door for this gig!  There weren't even any applications left.  We stood around (awkwardly) for a while, trying to figure out what was going on, then left.  I feel this thoroughly demonstrated the state of the job market for the Chattanooga area.  Sucks!  Then we saw the car wash was hiring....

Today was my first day at work!  Erich and I landed jobs at the Ft. Oglethorpe car wash and today was our orientation to the good life.  We arrived at 9:40, a good 20 minutes early, and sat around for 20+ minutes.  Then we went through the motions of filling out an application and we were hired!  I really want to go into the details, but nobody wants to read that much.  Basics:  You work every day (but you can have a day off if you need, they aren't unreasonable), you only get paid if you are cleaning a car.  Yes.  Hourly wages, but you have to clock out every time there isn't a customer.  This means you're clocked in anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes at a time.  I could have worked an 8 hour day and gotten paid for 2 (is that legal?).  As Purpur stated, "I can stand around at home and not get paid."  So after standing around (awkwardly) for an hour and a half,  we left.  I went climbing and Purpur went and got a job.  Big congrats to him!

Climbing:  Everything was dry, so that was good.  Nate and Rami were nice enough to come and hang out and spot me for like 5 hours, so that was good.  Didn't do anything new, bad.  We went to Cumberland (Pep Boys) again and I showed them Put A Sock In It.  It was funny.  Rami took some photos: 


Yeah, this is real.  Think what you will.


It's a good line, you should do it.
 Then I tried Gross Roof for a bit.  I don't know how that thing seems so hard, but it does.  All the holds are at least a pad.  Really don't get it.  Then I flailed on some stuff and we left.  I wish I had a job.

2 comments: