Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Gettin back in the game

Good evening, all.  Time really flies when you're having fun in Rossville.  Apparently it has been a while since my last post.  Unfortunately, there hasn't been an excess of material to post about.  Anyways, for a quick game of ketchup: 
A few days ago, Erich and I went to Cumberland to try and finish off some projects.  It was really cold (never hit 35) and not fun.  After attempting to warm up, we got on Salo's Roof.  I hadn't tried this thing in a couple of years because of the anxiety attacks.  I get really nervous about pumping off of boulder problems.  It bothers me so much that I try to avoid route-like problems at all costs.  Purpur was getting super close, and I couldn't help but get psyched to try it.  Worst decision ever.  The 'kneebar rest' didn't do anything but bruise my leg, and then I proceeded to live through the nightmare of pumping / punting off the top and landing on my back.  Then the feeling started to return to my fingers and I thought my fingernails were going to explode off of my hands (it hurt real bad).  I quit for the day after that.  On the bright side, I won punt of the week!  This was my first time receiving this honor.
Moving on, at some point I went out to another spot and finished off an old nemesis, Jah Natty (7c).  Felt way easier this year.
Another day, we went back to Cumberland when it was closer to 50 degrees and had a great time.  I sprinted my way through Salo's Roof (7c) 1st go.  Very glad to have that one done!  Then I tried Gross's Roof, but was just too worked.  Really can't wait to get out there fresh!  I did some unknown 7b+ on the way out.  I was like, "I think I'll just flash this rig and peace out."  Turns out, I'm not that strong and got all epic instead.  I finally figured out some beta and did it.  Barely.
Today, I went out to Dayton Pocket or Laurel Snow or whatever with Rami.  This was my first time there since we moved here.  I had forgotten how sick that place is!  The weather was good, but colder than I expected.  We started on Lord of the Dance and flailed on that for a while before deciding to try Stankins.  Both of these climbs are really hard, but I was feeling way bad on Stankins.  Rami's skin was ruined, so he decided to rest while I got back on Lord.  By some miracle I could suddenly do the crux move!  Pretty strange, but I decided to just go with it.  Unfortunately, I couldn't keep it together and pumped off the top. Twice.  How is my endurance sooo bad?!!?!  Then we went to 300 and Rami did it first go.  So did I until I pumped off the top. Twice.  It's jugs!!  I decided it was a bittersweet day, but mostly bitter.  Rami took some nice pics with my camera.  Here are a few:

The big crux move on Lord of the Dance


Trying to hold it together for the finish


First time seeing 300.  Climbs really well!

Funky drop knee stemming move in the roof

On a final note, I am no longer allowed at the plasma clinic.  This was a handy source of quick income, but the self-imposed ban is due to my most recent experience.  Short version:  They messed up the initial needle insertion and while trying to adjust the placement (and not getting it) I had a panic attack.  It hurt pretty bad and I started sweating and shaking all over.  I pretty much knew I was going to die.

1 comment:

  1. Nice shots! Your camera is so sick, and props to Rami. It looks like you were using your fancy new toys too. Very pro looking; they should be in a mag.

    ReplyDelete