Thursday, February 17, 2011

Expandin the media game

I have to apologize.  I started this blog because I felt a rare inspiration (and boredom) that kept things at least mildly interesting.  Since the first few posts, I haven't had that inspiration and my posts have become the makings of the generic monotone climber's blog.  "Today I went climbing with my friends and sent a hard problem.  It was really fun."  So, sorry about that.  I can't really do much about it, so thanks for continuing to check out my posts!

Taking things back a couple of days, Valentines Day continues to be the worst.  I won't get into it, but I never have a good time.  I decided to pull a solo day out at Cumberland to try to finish off Gross' Roof while fresh.  It was nearly 70 degrees and my whole body shut down.  I felt shaky, heavy, and really weak.  I left after 45 minutes and went to Beverage World to make myself feel better (I know, it's against my rules).  I bought a couple of nice beers (reviews to come) and got kicked in the face!  Not literally, but I got drunk very quickly and unexpectedly.  I don't know what happened, but I had to go to bed at 9:30.  I still felt pretty weak the next day, so I rested again.

Yesterday, I went out to LRC with Rami and Carl.  Carl couldn't meet us there until around 3:00, so Rami and I went around the field for a tour of classics.  We started on I Think I Can (7c).  This thing is so hard!  We tried it for like 2 hours and wrecked our skin.  I barely sent, and Rami barely didn't send.  Then we went over to Bosley Traverse (7b+).  I almost flashed it, but Rami didn't point out the jug right next to my hand at the end (purposeful sabotage!).  Rami and I both sent it quickly and moved on to the next gem.  White Chili (7b+) has to be one of the proudest lines at LRC (I know sarcasm doesn't come across well in type, but that's what that was).  It was pretty hard compression, but the concept behind that climb and how it moves was mildly ridiculous.  I got it second go, and Rami did it shortly after.  He almost laughed himself off the topout.  It was a day full of hating on climbs, but I really had a lot of fun!  It's nice to take a break from your projects and just have some fun on more obscure lines.  To celebrate, we went to Tremont Tavern for Free Beer Wednesday.  They were featuring Yuengling Bock Beer (did they get bought out by Budweiser??).  It wasn't very good, but it was free.  Personally, I thought it tasted like metal.  Overall Score:  2/10

Finally, today I was resting, but I went out to Zahnd with my friends.  It was fun.  (haha, get it?)  Seriously though, Ben Newton came into town and this was his first time at Zahnd.  He had an impressive day, sending lots of stuff.  Purp also did a handful of new problems.  Nate did a hard climb despite being sick.  Props to everyone!  Purp also got a pocket-size Flip video camera.  I insisted we bring it, and I shot some sick footage (sarcasm again)!  I also snapped a couple shots, but they weren't very good (truth).  So, with a free editing program and all of the processing power my PC could muster (really not enough), I present my first vid!  I know it's not great, but I hope you like it anyway. 


And here are some snapshots I took at Zahnd and a few from the other day at Lord of the Dance:

Nate Drolet photo

I get to wear 2 kinds of shoes because I'm not sponsored!  Yeah!
Nate Drolet photo

I didn't do it that go, but one move away! 
Nate Drolet photo

Nate Drolet sending Capoeira (7c+)



For all the Ben Newton fans out there, print this one and stick it to your fridge!

Erich Purpur on a highball arete at Zahnd
Holly McMullen climbing on rocks

Words cannot express how glad I am to be done with this post.  Damn my lack of RAM and AT&T!!!!!  It is 3:23am and I'm going to Rocktown tomorrow.  Goodnight, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment